Protector Lamp have been making mining lamps for coal mining at their factory in Eccles since 1873. We sell spare parts, fully refurbished miners lamps and we carry out miners lamp repairs and servicing on site. We have designed and supplied safety lamps for the Olympic Torch Relay and Holy Fire transit for the last 30 years. We hold a huge stock of spares for Protector Lamps’ and we offer miners lamp repairs and servicing. Led cordless cap lamps for mines and quarries in the UK and overseas.
The GR6S Garforth coal mining lamp is the approved method of checking for firedamp in all UK coal mines. Mining lamps also known as the Eccles or Davy Lamp, are based on the Sir Humphrey Davy principle. They have been in constant use in coal mines since 1815 replacing candles and other open flames which were the cause of so many explosions.
For more information on the Davy Lamp;
Olympic Torch Relay
Protector Lamps have carried the Olympic Flame for Olympic and other torch relays over the last 30 years.
Type 6 Deputies Relighter Lamp-Coal Miners Lamp
Protector Lamp designed and manufactured The Type 6 miners lamp used for gas testing in coal mines. The lamp will safely burn methane/firedamp without causing an explosion. It is also used to test for carbon monoxide referred to as Black Damp by coal miners.
All miners lamps date their history from the invention of the Davy Lamp in 1816.
It is a development of our earliest safety lamps, first made in 1873. They incorporate the Protector self extinguishing system. This was developed and patented by Joseph Prestwich, the driving force of the company in the late Victorian period. It was tested and approved for use in mines in the 1940’s.
Following Nationalisation in 1947 it became the approved lamp for all UK Coal mines operated by the Ministry of Power under the Labour Government. As the State did not want to create a monopoly supplier they also introduced lamps from Wolf and Thomas & Williams.