Protector Lamp, Eccles,Mining Lamps,Davy lamps made in England since 1873

DSC
protector lamp,miners lamp,flame safety lamp

Protector Lamp Eccles have designed and supplied Olympic Flame lanterns for the Olympic Games, Olympic Torch Relay and Holy Fire transit for the last 30 years. They are also known as Eccles miners lamps, Davy Lamps, flame safety lamps and Deputies Lamps. We hold a huge stock of spares for Protector Lamps’ and we offer miners lamp repairs and servicing. Led cordless cap lamps for mines and quarries in the UK and overseas. Protector Lamp have been making mining lamps developed from the Davy Lamp at the factory in Eccles, England since 1890.

We sell spare parts, fully refurbished miners lamps and we carry out miners lamp repairs and servicing on site. Carrying the Olympic Flame for over 30 years in the Olympic Torch Relays.

The GR6S Garforth mining lamp is the approved method of checking for firedamp in all UK coal mines. Mining lamps also known as the Eccles or Davy Lamp, are based on the Sir Humphrey Davy  principle. Mining lamps have been in constant use in coal mines since 1815 replacing candles and other open flames which were the cause of so many explosions.

Genuine Mining Lamps for sale

Videos on how to use your miners lamp

Davy Lamp on Wikipedia

Safety Lamp on Wiki

Carrying the Olympic Flame, Olympic Torch Relays and Holy Fire

Protector Lamp’s Olympic Flame Lanterns have carried the Olympic Flame for Olympic and other torch relays over the last 30 years.

davidbeckham
David Beckham with the Olympic Flame, London 2012

Type 6 Deputies Relighter Lamp-Coal Miners Lamp

Protector Lamp designed and manufactured The Type 6,also known as the Eccles  miners lamp for gas testing in coal mines. The lamp will safely burn methane/firedamp without causing an explosion. It is also used to test for carbon monoxide referred to as Black Damp by coal miners.

All miners lamps date their history from the invention of the Davy Lamp in 1816.

It is a development of our earliest safety lamps, first made in 1873 in Worsley before moving the our present site in Eccles in 1890. The lamps incorporate the Protector self extinguishing system, this was developed and patented by Joseph Prestwich, the driving force of the company in the late Victorian period. It was tested and approved for use in mines in the 1940’s.

Following Nationalisation in 1947 it became the approved lamp for all UK Coal mines operated by the Ministry of Power under the Labour Government. As the State did not want to create a monopoly supplier they also introduced lamps from Wolf and Thomas & Williams.