All coal miners lamps in the UK were required to have magnetic locks so they could not be opened underground. These are parts for miners lamp lock parts.
This kit includes;retaining bung,spring and locking pin as shown in the main photograph above. It is common for Type 6,GR6S and SL.
The lock is in a brass casting on the side of the fuel vessel. The bung fits into a threaded hole at the base of the lock body and it retains the spring and the locking pin. When fitted by us to a lamp the slot on the head is removed so it cannot be unscrewed. These are often drilled out to remove the locking pin. The magnets we sell are placed on the base of the lock body and pull down the spring and pin allowing the fuel filler flap/locking plate to be opened.
The miners lamp was developed from the original design of the Davy Lamp.
The Type 6 is a flame safety lamp used for gas testing in coal mines. This miners lamp will safely burn methane/firedamp without causing an explosion.
It is a development of our earliest safety lamps, first made in 1873, and incorporates the Protector self extinguishing system developed and patented by Joseph Prestwich, the driving force of the company in the late Victorian period. It was tested and approved for use in mines in the 1940’s.
Following Nationalisation in 1947 it became the approved lamp for all UK Coal mines which were operated by the Ministry of Power under the Labour Government. As the State did not want to create a monopoly supplier they also introduced lamps from Wolf and Thomas & Williams.